Saturday, November 24, 2007

Fasting – Day 1 Completed

Matthew 6:16-18 talks about fasting and keeping it to your self. I think about this and wonder, is it wrong for me to talk about my experience? I feel peace with it because I am not saying “Woes is me, I am fasting, I’m starving and wasting away”. I just want to share and maybe encourage.

I bought a juicer and had three glasses of fresh juice & about three liters of water. It was a tough day. I had pretty much decided last night that I would be eating today. I resigned myself to the fact that this was way harder then I expected. I told myself this was just a practice run. I will try again next week or next month.

When I woke up this morning I felt pretty good, Kevin and I took a nice long walk and decided to persevere. Right now one day doesn’t seem like enough. I feel like if I quit now I would be missing something, the experience wouldn’t be complete.

It’s a strange thing to deny the flesh especially when most decisions have been driven by fleshly desires. I have found in not eating that I am presented with this empty feeling not just in my belly but emotionally. I see with more clarity the abundance of distractions that I am presented with on a daily basis. I was given some good advice by my Aunt Donna, "don't be unaware of satan's tricks (2 Corinthians 2:11). When we can step back and recognize it as satan's attack, it helps us to name it and let it go, asking for protection and help from the LORD. Then we can focus again on the main thing.”

That has really helped me with those empty emotional periods because that is when I am so vulnerable to attack.

I’m not sure if I will make it all three days but I feel clearer and increasingly less broken

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
1 Peter 5:7-8


This is a good web site for fasting info: http://www.freedomyou.com/

No comments: